Monday, January 16, 2012

Meatless Monday: Sneaky, Sneaky...

I can be very sneaky when it comes to slipping the kiddos veggies...but not nearly as sneaky as this guy:

Sorry for the 'A' word and the friendly finger.  I try to keep things G-rated around here but that guy on Mr. Deeds just cracks me up...sneaky, sneaky, sir.   

Anyway, this mama has to be sneaky with the veggies or else I can't guarantee they will make it passed the kiddos little lips.  I've been making a lot of smoothies for them lately with a few tricks up my sleeve in the forms of Mr. Iron and Mr. Beta Carotene aka spinach and carrots.  For weeks I hovered over the blender so they wouldn't see what I was slipping into their yummy smoothies, but I soon realized they loved the smoothies so much they could care less what was in it, and now they like to help add in the veggies!



I had a great blender shot for ya'll, but somehow I deleted it, sorry! But the above picture looks exactly like our finished product!  With the addition of blueberries, strawberries and banana, you'd never know there was spinach and carrot hiding out too!  

A little tip, as my bananas start to become over-ripe, I peel them and throw them in a freezer bag then throw the frozen banana in the smoothie.  Using the frozen fruit means I don't need to add ice!

Hope you enjoy the sneaky, sneaky smoothie!

Sneaky Smoothie

1 whole carrot, sliced
1 cup raw spinach (I use more like two cups, but you can work your way up to that)
1 tbsp ground flax
1 tbsp wheat germ, optional
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
6 oz. vanilla Greek yogurt 
splash of milk to thin it a bit if necessary  

Throw everything in the blender and blend until smooth.  Divide between four glasses and serve!  You can freeze individual servings for later as well.

2 comments:

Mamasita said...

oh for delicious!!!!!! i LOVE Greek yogurt! and genius frozen banana shenanigins! You go mama!
SNEAKY! :)

Laurie J said...

ha! sneaky indeed. we put spinach in our smoothies around here but i've never tried greek yogurt....does it taste a lot different than 'other' yogurt? happy tuesday to ya, nikki!
<3 <3 <3